We've got our sights on an Occupancy Permit, and have been focusing our energies on the areas we need to qualify for one. We have heard that we need to have:
A bathroom witha toilet and a door
A kitchen with sink, fridge and stove
Finished floors in kitchen and bath
Finished stairs with handrail
Weather tight exterior
We will move into a quite unfinished house, but we are anxious to not be paying rent any longer. I just hope that once we move in, we will keep our momentum going to complete the project...
We don't yet have a date for the move, but it seems within possibility that it might be by the end of summer?!??? We'll let you know because we will be looking for some help to move!
Setting the stage
Last weekend Cathy and Teddy delivered some staging to us. This should come in handy for a couple of areas that Genie cannot be set up in due to uneven terrain.
How they happened to have a set of staging is another story of BBB (builders behaving badly).
When they built their addition, the builder abandoned the project (after being paid of course) and he left some of his tools behind - among them this set of staging. So we benefit from their misfortune...
On Monday, we had some kitchen counter tops installed. We are using a recycled glass product called Curava for part of the counters, and we will use maple butcher block for the remainder.
Here are the guys from Merrimack Stone doing the installation.
Making the cut out in the base cabinet.
Doing the dry fit.
Putting on the sealer coat.
And when they were done, here's what we have.
And later that day, Dean did a partial installation of the faucet so we could see how it looks.
The butcher block was also delivered on Monday. We ordered chunks of butcher block that we will cut to size and install ourselves. Measure twice, cut once, measure twice, cut once, measure twice, cut once...
Here, Dean applies a coat of dilute polyurethane to the backs of the butcher block - this will help prevent warping.
Prepping for Paint
We spent a good part of the week getting prepared to paint.
The results of the skim coat plaster job that we had done on all of the walls in the house was below our expectations. So what else is new?
We chose plaster over drywall and joint compound because we were lead to believe it would give a superior result. What we expected was for the walls to be very smooth all over. Dean will tell you they did an all around shitty job. I would say I think it came out OK, but there a quite a few dings, gouges, high and low spots, and rough patches through-out. I would estimate about 1- 15 defects per each wall and ceiling.
Anyway, we have been sanding and spackling to fill in the defects, and sanding again, and we should be ready for paint this coming week. So here is a montage of sanding pics...
Plaster dust is rough on the coiffure.
And more sanding...
And still sanding...
Fixing other stuff
Because our former builder failed to put in blocking between the wall studs, there are places where we had no way to secure the base cabinets to the wall. Here I am putting in an L bracket so that we can tie this cabinet into the nearest stud.
And here, Dean is cutting out a section of the drywall in the bathroom so that he can place some blocking to attach the sink to...
Marking the area to be cut.
Making the cut.
The exposed stud.
Chiseling out part of the stud so as to sister it with a cross piece.
And putting in the blocking.
Now we have a place to attach a sink!
More Plumbing Excitement
The plumber did some work on Friday. We now have three lovely outdoor water spigots!
The final connections of the soil pipe to the septic have been made.
And we have hooked up the washing machine. We don't have a water heater yet, but we can do cold loads and save ourselves some trips to the laundromat!
We have been appreciating the rain, as it means we have to run the sprinkler less in order to keep the hump green. We have discovered that it takes mucho kilowatts to pump water from the well!
Speaking of green, our future green energy plans include:
Photovoltaics. When we build the garage, we will have a nice chunk of south facing roof real estate to install a bank of photovoltaic panels.
Windmill. We plan to put up a small, relatively inexpensive windmill.
Solar water heating panels. These are also in the plans.
- A clothesline. One of the simplest and most efficient uses of solar energy!
There is still plenty of shingling to be done. We are getting up the the scary high areas of the house.
Preview of coming attractions
Dean had this idea of putting down a coat of diluted polyurethane on the un-sanded floors as a way of protecting them from paint spills, etc. It gives us a little preview of what the finished floors will look like.
It is such pretty wood!
When not sleeping on or under the porch, Pumpernickel has taken to chillin' at the North side of the house. She digs a little cool spot in the sand and naps all afternoon...
Tom came out on Saturday to install the stair treads and hand rails. He was accompanied by his helpers Ben and Cheryl.
A view looking down the stairs.
And the hand rail.