Sunday, January 2, 2011

Look What I Found!


If you have been following this blog, you will recall that in my last post I was lamenting my inability to find our stuff.  In particular, I was trying to locate Dean's winter Carhart coveralls. 

So yes, you guessed it - I found them!


















Yesterday, on the first day of 2011, I was packing up some boxes of books to be picked up by a member of my local Yahoo! Freecycle Group, and lo and behold, there they were, on a shelf, right at eye level in a clearly labeled box!

Don't understand why I was not able to see them before when I was searching high and low...  Don't understand why they finally appeared to me on a day when the mercury was up in the 50's...

Ahhh, the mysteries of the universe.

Could this be an omen for the coming year inviting me to stop searching, to be more present, to let things find me?


I am reminded of a poem by David Whyte:


Lost

Stand still.
The trees ahead and the bushes beside you Are not lost.
Wherever you are is called Here,
And you must treat it as a powerful stranger,
Must ask permission to know it and be known.
The forest breathes. Listen. It answers,
I have made this place around you,
If you leave it you may come back again, saying Here.


No two trees are the same to Raven.
No two branches are the same to Wren.
If what a tree or a bush does is lost on you,
You are surely lost. Stand still.
The forest knows Where you are.
You must let it find you.


I will try to remember this the next time I am lost in my self-made "forest" of boxes...

Happy New Year, friends!

2 comments:

  1. So you found the box labeled "PANS", relabeled it "DEAN WINTER COVERALLS" and Presto!
    Brilliant! Was Dean in there, with the coveralls?
    ~dmj

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi cathy and dean,

    we loved dean's coverall's AND your story and reflections about it. weLOVE you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!! love, drew and laila

    ReplyDelete