Monday, March 28, 2016

Finishing the Master Bath




The upstairs bathroom was the room that had the most components left unfinished, but we have now completed everything except the door pulls on the closet doors.

Seemingly simple things can sometimes take a while to accomplish.  Case in point was installing this shelf above the back of the toilet.



First, it took me a long time to decide what I wanted to do with this space...

I finally decided on a shelf, and found some mounting brackets that I liked.

Mounting the first bracket was pretty straightforward as it was mounted into a stud.


The second bracket was not in a stud.  Our first attempt to mount it using this type of screw anchor system failed because the screw would not grip the anchor, or maybe the anchor would not grip the drywall, I forget exactly which is was...


So we switched to molly bolts.






With the brackets finally installed, I was ready for the shelf.

I started with a nice piece of oak, that Dean had salvaged from his father's garage, and with his help, I cut it to size and finished the edges using a router.  I applied a stain that I ended up not liking the result - too dark.


Then I came up with the brilliant idea to use the top that we took off the bureau that we had converted to be the sink base.  I cut and used the front section that has this nice curved profile.


It looks so much nicer, and it matches the sink base.


I put up some of my art work that has been in storage for quite a few years now.

So here are some views of the final finishes.

Looking out the door into the hall and stairwell



Looking in from the door


The closet doors which still need their pulls installed

Tub shower area

We are now working on closet doors in the upstairs rooms. 


Dean is up there making some hammering sounds as I type this.  

I'll post more on this as we progress.




Tuesday, March 1, 2016

A Few Updates



We moved into the house September 2010 - so already over 5 years here!

Things certainly slow down and priorities shift once you take occupancy.  And it's those "little" things like trim and closet doors that end up remaining unfinished for extended periods.

So here's a little run down of some things that are in progress or that we have actually gotten done.


Central Vacuum Installation

We plumbed for central vac before the drywall went up, and finally purchased and installed the system.



















Fixing the washing machine hook-up

The plumber who installed the hook-ups for the washing machine, failed to allow for any insulation between the drain pipe and the outside wall, so it froze in winter.  Rather than tear out the drywall, Dean re-plumbed on the wall surface.





Wood Stove Re-build

Our soapstone wood stove had some cracked stones, so Dean took it apart and replaced the stones and put it all back together



We had some nice toasty fires over the winter and Missy discovered her new favorite place to nap!




Lots O' Painting

I finally got around to painting some of the exterior doors.




The barn doors got a coat of paint





The G shed got painted.


I'll be doing the rafters and underside of the roof trim in the green trim color that we've used on the house.


The baseboard trim in the stairwell that had been unpainted for like forever was finally tackled by Dean.  





I had painted the risers a while ago, and now the stairwell is DONE and it looks REALLY nice!








Moving Rocks

Of course, we moved some rocks.  One of our favorite things!





Using my muscles to nudge a rock into place.



Training for the Spartan Challenge!


And we have almost completed the stone wall to surround this garden.  The opening you see above will remain open for accessing the area, and it's possible that we might install a pretty gate here in the future.



G Shed Details

We put up a shelf to hold pots on the outside of the shed, and I painted and hung an old shutter as a decorative element.

 And used some black birch to make decorative brackets to hold the shelf up.


I have a few more little decorative touches planned for the shed.  I have some old windows to install in the window openings, and we plan a black birch bracket for the front gable end of the roof.  

Just because it is a utility shed does not mean it can't be cute, right?



Pebble Mosaics

Most of my pebble mosaics are holding up well, but a couple of the stepping stone ones at the house's entry are crumbling.


Detail of crumbling cement

Not sure why this is happening.  It would be nice to figure it out, because I have a few more mosaics planned.


Other Projects

We have been working on installing a new Generac propane fired generator to replace Big Bertha who currently resides in the shed.  I plan to post the whole story when we get it done.


And we have been working on the Master Bathroom.  It is 99.5% finished, and I will post about this soon, but here's a sneak peek!






That's it for now.

Next up, I'm hoping we will finally finish trimming and install closet doors on the upstairs closets.